The FLoW $5,000 Transformational Idea Award
Not ready to start a business?
Have great pre-commercial research that needs exploring?
Then apply to win the Transformational Idea Award.
FLoW’s Transformation Idea Award recognizes outstanding pre-commercial ideas and applied research projects focused on cleantech and sustainability. By participating in this track of the competition, students can share their innovations with knowledgeable business experts, gaining insight on what it takes to become an entrepreneur and start a business. Instead of creating a formal business plan, students on this track create an overview presentation showcasing how their innovation might be transformed into a business opportunity.
Why You Should Apply
- You have a great idea or technology and want to learn how to take it to market or turn it into a business.
- $5,000 cash prize to fund further development of technology into product
- In kind legal support for early company formation and patenting
- Opportunities to participate in entrepreneurial boot camps
Steps to Apply
- Review Guidelines and Eligibility then file a Statement of Intent (SOI) via FLoW's website
- Feb 1. 2016: Deadline to file SOI via FLoW’s website
- After filing SOI, Set up an online "YouNoodle" account and review requirements
- March 7, 2016: Deadline to submit applicant questions & ten-slide presentation outlining how your innovation might be transformed into a business opportunity via your "YouNoodle" account. This is also the deadline to submit your IP Declaration and IP Disclosure forms -And complete the mentoring request form. (Sample Transformational Idea Presentation)
- April 22, 2016 FLoW Semi-Finals: Present either in person or over SKYPE
- May 18, 2016: Pitch presentation to FLoW Finals judging panels in Los Angeles
Guidance for Applicants
All TIA applicants receive the same expert mentoring as FLoW’s Ready to Commercialize track. You must fill out a Mentor Request form on the FLoW website and FLoW will match teams with advisors after submissions close on March 7, 2016.